A series of Elementary Classroom Management workshops were held to address the needs of teachers and students in elementary schools and in the Early Childhood program. The presenters for the classroom management sessions were external consultants and OPS staff.
The K-6 Classroom Management Workshop was offered as a three-part series.
• Session I: Developing, Implementing and Maintaining Rules and Expectations for Student Behavior - The presenter shared methods to proactively teach rules, procedures, consequences and skills and to develop a plan for implementation in their classroom/building.
• Session II: Encouraging Positive Behavior - Participants learned to differentiate between types of praise and how to use each. They explored the use of effective positive consequences to share a student’s behavior.
• Session III: Correcting Problem Behavior - Teachers explored various processes for correcting problem behavior along a continuum of correction, teaching alternative behaviors and using effective consequences.
The Early Childhood Classroom Management Workshop was offered as a three-part series.
• Session I: Supporting Children through Classroom Management- Teachers were provided strategies that help establish a positive social climate, suggested designs for appropriate physical environments, establish classroom rules and routines. The presenter discussed techniques for handling challenging behaviors.
• Session II: Addressing Challenging Behavior - Teachers were provided will ways to take a proactive approach by embedding social and emotional learning into daily routines.
• Session III: Meeting the Diverse Needs of the Early Childhood Classroom- Research, theory and practice designed to assist urban early childhood professionals in working within diverse classroom settings was shared with staff.
Another component to supporting the teachers was to provide classroom workshops for students. Student Community Services organized and conducted student workshops during the school day for 4th – 6th grade classrooms. The purpose of these sessions was to assist students with understanding the appropriate behavior during school. The topics for these workshops included:
• Peer Relationships
• Dealing with Anger
• Conflict Resolution
• Self-Esteem: Believing in Yourself
• Preparing for Your Future